- Francis Urquhart for Grey Poupon?
- The Worst Migraine in L.A.
- Prevent Conceptus Interruptus: How Math Can Improve Your Creativity
- Disruptive Challenger Brands and Names
- We played CBGBs 30 years ago today
- Find the fridge
- The Wire: Season 6, Jimmy and the boys work with the NSA to stop terrorism in Baltimore.
- 3six5 4A's Abercrombie & Fitch Advertising Age Agency Life airline staff Australia Boxing Branding CERN Chinglish Communication Conan O'Brien Conrad Content Content Farms Content Strategy Copywriting Creativity Customer Service Darth Vader Davos Design Dreams Dying E-Prime Experience Focus Groups Food Carts Games Ghettoization Groupon Harley Davidson Hemingway Ian Hunter Jargon Joyce Leadership Lexus Life Literature Logo Love Lucid Marketing Math Migraines Music New Business New Seasons Obama Oprah Parenting Parody PhD Pitch Process PR Puns Science Sears Shopping Bags Spec Work Stanley Fish Starbucks Storytelling Strategy Tactics Targeting Thanksgiving Trader Joe's Twitter Usability Volkswagen Writing
I write ads: traditional, non-traditional, interactive, edutainment, story-based, broadcast, and experiential marketing events.
Sometimes I write about ads and the business of advertising. Sometimes I write about other stuff.
The views expressed here are solely my own and don’t reflect the views of my employers.
Tag Archives: Agency Life
Bob’s an old guy who lives in my neighborhood. He’s got what he calls skin art on his left arm, a faded mermaid he met in San Diego. Bob rolled up his sleeve because I asked him if he was in the … Continue reading
Earlier this month I came across what I thought was the most pathetic thing I’ve ever read, but I should have known better. Today I came across this quote from the designer, Neville Brody: An electrician isn’t an opinion former, … Continue reading
Focus groups are part pseudoscience, part theater. That’s a given. But their negative effect is more insidious than you think. Why? Because most people who work in advertising disconnect themselves from the real world. They spend most of their time with other … Continue reading
Last night I sparred with two boxers half my age. Tough Russian kids with heavy accents who could have turned me into a bowl of borscht. Instead, they’d stop to demonstrate technique and then go back to knocking some sense … Continue reading
Why are DDB, TBWA, Deutsch and Leo Burnett not going to pitch Sears? It’s a huge account, they spent $500 million in advertising last year. Because Sears demanded that every agency that pitches them give up ownership of everything they present, … Continue reading